We are always interested in hearing from motivated, creative thinkers with a passion for the biopharma and healthcare industries who want to join our team at Pharmagellan. We are currently hiring for the following position:
ASSOCIATE CONSULTANT (hourly / part-time / remote)
Our associate consultants conduct secondary research, analysis, and writing to support scholarly articles, blog posts, and books. They work remotely for 5-40 hours per week, usually with weekly check-ins. We currently focus our independent research efforts on three core areas:
- CORPORATE FINANCE: Benchmarks and trends for pharma and med-tech financial metrics, R&D, and commercialization
- POLICY: Impact of existing, proposed, and enacted regulations and laws (esp. related to pricing, regulation, and reimbursement)
- R&D STRATEGY: Portfolio and project decision-making; trial design, execution, and data analysis (esp. oncology)
We look for three main capabilities in prospective team members:
EXPERTISE. We are partial to individuals with content knowledge or hands-on experience that's relevant to our analytical work in the biopharma industry – but this expertise may take many forms. We welcome applicants with relevant technical and non-technical backgrounds (J.D., M.B.A., M.D., M.P.P., M.S., Ph.D., ...), including current students and postdoctoral fellows, who also have demonstrated their interest in our core interest areas. We are particularly interested in hearing from applicants with relevant experience in:
- Biostatistics and methods of clinical trial data analysis
- Business finance
- Clinical research, drug development, and trial design (esp. oncology)
- Laws and policies related to healthcare and pharma (incl. IP, pricing, and regulation)
- Reimbursement and market access
Please note, however, that no single area of expertise is strictly required – and none can substitute for curiosity, drive, lucid thinking, clear communication, and intellect.
ANALYTICAL HORSEPOWER. In our research and writing, we strive to bring data and analysis to complex, important questions in biopharma and healthcare. (If the answer were obvious, trivial, or easy to obtain, why would anyone hire us or read what we write?) We often take a “consulting approach” to answering these questions: we come up with several (independent) possible solutions, test them, and (ideally) triangulate the results to get to a reasonable answer. To do this, we creatively and independently leverage a variety of sources – large structured data sets (PubMed, clinicaltrials.gov, SEC data, etc.), Google, Twitter, academic and industry experts, our own professional networks, etc. – to find different ways to gather, analyze, interpret, and present data. Although not all the data we collect and analyze are quantitative, a comfort with numbers and math is essential, and if you have programming or statistical analysis skills (e.g., R), please let us know.
WRITING ABILITY. Because we strive to identify, frame, solve, and articulate interesting and important questions in the biopharma industry, we look for applicants with a body of written work that demonstrates their thinking and writing skills. We strongly encourage folks who lack relevant writing samples to share their ideas on Medium or another platform before applying to work with us. (Check here for some pro tips on blogging about academic research.)
We appreciate applicants who have spent some time considering how their skills and interests fit with ours at Pharmagellan – and with that in mind, we’d like to suggest some thoughts and materials to consider:
- Read our blog posts and published research. How would you have executed or written them better (or differently)?
- Our most successful team members have tended to keep up with biopharma news sources and bio-Twitter.
- We are deeply obsessed with clear prose, good grammar, and the Oxford comma.
- Did we mention we wrote a book?
To apply, please email email@example.com with three things:
- Your CV;
- A cover letter explaining why you're interested in joining us; and,
- A analytical blog-style writing sample (500-800 words) on any topic you find interesting related to the healthcare industry, similar in style to what we've published previously.
Note: At this time, we are sadly unable to employ individuals outside the U.S. due to logistical challenges with payroll and tax processing.
Thank you for your interest –we look forward to hearing from you.